Thursday 26 April 2012

My Birthday Day at Michael's

On Sunday, I was running all over town, dropping off this kid, picking up that one. I guess one of the benefits of a day like this is that you may get half an hour to spend browsing in Michael's. I'm not a huge fan - I find the selection limited and the prices high - but every once in a while I have a good shopping trip there.

I browsed the $1.50 bargain bin to find three of these stamps. When I got home, I put them in my 'birthday' drawer. Today I had some time to play, and pulled them out, along with the one on the right, that I've had for a long time.



Here's what I ended up with:


I knew I probably would never use the Wish Big! sentiment, so I just cut it off. But then I couldn't find my 'bird-day' sentiment, so ended up using this one, which I think works quite well. (just noticing now, that two of the stamps were rows of images, and I made this one into a row of images!) 




When I stamped this stamp, I saw little hearts in the bows, so I decided to colour only the bows, to emphasize them. Of course there are many possibilities for this stamp - Christmas, birthday, colourful etc, etc.





This is a different treatment of a row stamp. I knew I wanted an all-round border, but using a stamp like this on corners can be tricky. This is my solution - stamp to the left end on each side. You should see how this glows in real life - I put a tiny dab of diamond stickles in each flame and the sparkle is really pretty!










This stamp has been in and out of my 'sell' pile many times over the years (you can see the remains of a price tag on it!) - I always felt like I was limited in how it could be used, but I think this proves otherwise. Repetition is one way to take a small stamp and make a bigger card out of it. I made the 'grey' one first - I'm so pleased with the sparkle on the neutral background squares. Then I thought I would do another one with the same layout, but just black and white, but somehow ended up with turquoise and red and lots of stickles again (have I mentioned that stickles are probably my favourite card making tool - it's rare to find a card that couldn't look prettier with stickles! LOL!)


Supplies:
Birds
Stamps: Michael's, ? Sentiment
Paper: Whisper White, Ballet Blue, Summer Sun
Ink: Memento Tuxedo
Accessories: Copic Markers, stickles


Heart Presents
Stamps: Michael's
Paper: Whisper White, Real Red, Gina K Pure Luxury
Ink: Memento Tuxedo
Accessories: Copic Marker, stickles


Candles
Stamps: Michael's, Hero Arts
Paper: Whisper White, Real Red, Gina K pure Luxury
Ink: Memento Tuxedo
Accessories: Copic Markers, Stickles


Red/Turquoise Square Birthday
Stamps: Stampendous
Paper: Real Red, Tempting Turquoise, Gina K Pure Luxury
Ink: Memento Tuxedo
Accessories: Copic Markers, Stickles


Grey Square Birthday
Stamps: Stampendous
Paper: Whisper White, Basic Grey, Gina K Pure Luxury
Ink: Memento Tuxedo
Accessories: Copic Markers, Stickles

7 comments:

  1. how awesome you scored!! love that...love your cards too...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "MUST....HAVE....THESE!"

    If you still have them on your next visit, please bring - I will buy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely selection of cards. I do like the chicken card because you have made so much from so little and I love the sentiment, it suits the image beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  4. all are so nice! but i love the second one with the red hearts, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love anything glittery!!! These are great! M x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed this point somehow and it's another gift of cards from you to your fans! In fact, it's like getting many blog posts in one! You really are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love every card! The black and white with red heart bows is really sharp. The chick is cute and you were right on making a row of them.

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.