Friday 31 August 2018

Mondo Peony Two Ways


I've been a lucky girl this week because two new colouring mediums (media?) came to live with me - the new Altenew Watercolours and a 60-set of Faber-Castell Polychromos pencil crayons (coloured pencils if you're outside of Canada!)

I swatched them both and then looked around for something else to try. I chose Mondo Peony because I think it's a really great flower for practicing your colouring - it's big, with large and small areas to colour, and lots of nooks and crannies to practice shading. 


First I did the watercolours. I stamped with Versafine Clair (Nocturne) on Arches Cold Press paper. I laid down a flat layer of pink on the flower and light green on the leaves, and then went back with a number of different shades to try and create the shadows and dimensions. I used Black Velvet brushes.


Next I tried the Polychromos. This time I stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black on Stonehenge paper. I tried to choose similar colours - dark pinks, yellows and purples, and even a brown, and I tried to colour it in a similar way.  I see lots of 'learnings' and 'areas for improvement', but that's what it's all about, right?

I just love the look of the texture of these pencils, but I do love the bright colours of the watercolours! What about you?

I finished both cards with the same sentiment, some sequins and an Oyster card base.

I wasn't ready to do a video with these yet, but maybe soon......


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful work with both mediums, Ardyth - I love my Faber Castell pencils, but generally use them on the smooth surfaced card. We don't have access to many different papers in my small town. Your use of the water colours is stunning
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ardyth, both ways... your bring that flower comes to live with your coloring. Totally beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.