Tuesday 2 June 2020

Overlapping Stencil Technique


Over the weekend, I was playing around with the idea of using a stencil and some masking to create a kind of 'overlapped' look. These 3 cards were the result.


I started with this one. I placed the Pretty Pink Posh Wide Stripes stencil onto a white panel of cardstock, on an angle. I masked the 'top' edge of the stencil and blended green, aqua and blue ink through it. (this is the top right area of this card).

Then I lifted the stencil, masked my blended ink stripes and placed the stencil diagonally the other way on the other corner (bottom right corner) and blended the same inks through. 

If you followed all that, you know that I originally had the blending at the bottom of my panel and open white space at the top, but as I played around with sentiments, I decided this orientation worked best for legibility of the Pond Friends sentiment. I added the 3 heart stamp from the same set for a little pop of colour.


Next, I masked around 5 stripes on the stencil itself and then blended the inks through onto the white panel (this is the set of 5 stripes that appear to be on top of the others). I lifted the stencil, masked those blended stripes on the panel, and then turned the stencil 90 degrees and blended the inks in the opposition direction. This is the same thing you would to to create a plaid, but because of the masking over the first layer, I got this overlapping appearance. I finished with the heart die from Pinata Party (layered up) and a sentiment from Thoughtful Greetings.


This is a similar idea - this time I masked around 3 stripes on the stencil and blended the ink. Then I masked those 3 stripes and blended the ink through in the opposite direction. I finished this one with the hello portion from the Hello Shaker and a little friend word from Hedgehog Friends.


3 comments:

  1. Great idea these look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous geometric cards Ardyth - you would have found them relaxing after the A.I card you shared yesterday;)
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleaver ideas. I like the results.

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.