Thursday 20 September 2012

OLW 106 - MASKing



This week's One Layer Wednesday challenge is being hosted by Heather, the Queen of sponging. And the Queen has decreed that this week's challenge will include sponging.

I admit that sponging is not always my favourite technique because it's messy and unpredictable (probably if I did more of it, it would become more predictable!). But the texture you get is deeper than stamping, and the wonderful blending possibilities are endless.

Although I've made a couple of cards recently where I used sponging to achieve blending (this sympathy and Christmas card), I knew I wanted to make a card that had more precise images this time. I used one big mask with all the circles cut out so that I wasn't moving paper around and exposing bits that I knew I wanted to be smudge-free! I rounded the (unknown) sentiment to fit.



17 comments:

  1. Wow! Awsome job. Love the colors you used. Great idea to make one large mask - it worked - no smudges! You definitely achieved a deep, rich color by sponging! I admire your curved sentiment. How do you get the stamp to stay put on the block...mine always seem to sproing off in wonky directions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super results, Ardyth. I always fine one layer cards really difficult. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really well done. Love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the design of your card. What a fantastic idea to create a mask so you didn't have to shift the paper, that is how accidents happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fun and bright! I have a question about the mask. Getting the punched holes in the mask. Most masking tape is thin and can double up on itself, like eclipse. How did you make your mask?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary - Not sure how to get back to you. I used a piece of computer paper, and cut the circles out using nestabilities and circle punches. I used repositionable tape to attach it to the cardbase, so that it wouldn't move and then used an adhesive eraser to get rid of the sticky bits that were left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bright, cheerful and adorable!...love the bit of stickles too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is a happy card. Your circles are color are fabulous. ann Y.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love those juicy colours! And the single mask is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty Ardyth; I especially like the variety in sizes. To answer your question about the yellow papers on my tutorial-they are large post it notes. I could not survive without them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how FUN! This just makes me smile!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. And you are the Queen of Bright and Cheerful, Ardyth! Awesome job and I love the little circles of glitter, too. I will have to add Sparkle to your title!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sooo neat! I love all those circles :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous card, love the colours, and the rounded stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is brilliant too. Such a simple idea but so, so effective.

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.