Monday 2 April 2012

Happy Birthday to my Sister (a cardmaking retrospective)

I have 3 sisters. Today is the birthday of the cardmaking sister who made this card for my daughter.

One of the things that my sister and I have in common is a love of David Bowie. We were both superfans when we were growing up and we both still list him as one of our favourites.

I thought it fitting to launch my own, personal challenge of making cards inspired by David Bowie songs with my card for my sister:



The song that inspired this card is "Andy Warhol" (of course I'm going alphabetically!).  The lyrics go something like: "Andy Warhol, looks a scream, hang him on my wall, Andy Warhol, silver screen, can't tell them apart at all." It was released in 1971 on "Hunky Dory".

I'm pleased with the sparkly spingy card that resulted! (edited to add: my sister did not know which song this card represented, so I may have to go back to the drawing board on this whole thing! LOL!)

Now for the retrospective part!

When my sister turned 40, I wanted to make her card really special. My gift to her was a box set of Bowie music from his whole career -  right from before he was David Bowie (he was David Jones at the time, and was being confused with another Davie Jones) up until the late 1990s. This is the card I came up with (inspired by "Heroes" and using my Cricut with the Paperdoll dress up cartridge):



(I had to make Ziggy's jumpsuit myself - there wasn't anything similar on the Cricut cartridge! LOL!)

Finally, one of the first cards I ever made, way back in 2006, when we both went to my cousin's Stampin' Up! party and started making cards ourselves, was for this sister's birthday.


Obviously before I discovered Stickles! There is very little I would change about this card - I'm still prettyhappy with it. I remember the class I took to learn how to make this card so that the dragonflies looked like they are floating on the masked, stippled background. Maybe it's time to get those stippling brushes out again! LOL!


Supplies (2012 card only)
Various glitter cardstock
Square nestabilities, Papertrey Flower die, circle punch 

1 comment:

  1. A first card like that one announces "True Artist at Work!"

    Must be you've got the artist genes for sure.

    Wish I had a few hours to see everything you've done, but I'll be back.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Bahb

    I don't have any artist genes, so don't have a blog.

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.