Monday 9 April 2012

Happy Birthday to my Friend

Today is my friend Mrs H's birthday. She and I have been together since high school, where we both played violin in the orchestra and were accused by the music teacher of being "hostile". You know how angry teenage girls can get when the teacher clips your nails for you. (I know, it wouldn't be allowed now, but back in the day....)

Mrs H is one of my biggest fans and when I sat down to make a card for her, I had absolutely no idea what to make. Have I ever told you how a blank page scares me? Well it does, and it did, but I was determined, so after about 3 attempts, I embossed a single flower in white on a white panel. I started sponging some bright colours and thought it looked a little bit like tie-dye. But at that point, I just knew that this card would not work out, so I put down the panel and started something else, based on a card I'd made in the past that I knew Mrs H liked. I was really pleased with the bright colours and how it turned out:



And then my daughter came into my craft room and saw the incomplete tie-dye card. She loved it and encouraged me to finish, just to see how it would work out. I did and I love it:


So now I had a problem - which one to send? In the end I decided to send both. I wrote my greeting on a post-it note and put it in the pink and orange card and she can now decide whether she would like to keep both, keep one and send one to someone else, or send both.

Happy Birthday my friend - looking forward to many, many more adventures together!

Supplies:
Orange/Pink:
Stamps: Papertrey (Birthday Basics, Polka Dot Basics)
Paper: Whisper White, Melon Mambo
Ink: Melon Mambo, Summer Sun, Only Orange
Accessories: White Embossing Powder, Spellbinder banner die, orange bling (Doodlebug), sponge daubers


Tie-Dye
Stamps: Stampin' Up (Flower Fest), Hero Arts
Paper: Whisper White, Gina K Pure Luxury
Ink: Summer Sun, Only Orange, Melon Mambo, Rich Razzleberry, Marina Mist, Pear Tart
Accessories: White Embossing Powder, Sponge daubers

6 comments:

  1. Both are so bright and cheery. Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fabulous cards. I love the bright colors, love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure do like those bright, cheerful colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok peeps...as the very fortunate recipient of these cards, I must say they are even MORE beautiful in person than in the pictures... I love them! What a fabulous surprise to receive these in the mail. So very happy to call you my friend Ardyth.. (and glad we survived all those 7am orchestra practices...who wouldn't be hostile at that time of the morning!). Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous colours...love the tie-dye effect on the second :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both so fun and bright. What I love about the tie-dye card is the way you cut the image - the little touches of green up at the top still. So VIBRANT!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.