Saturday 21 March 2015

RS157, OLS14, Muse 109 - Happy Birthday (National Geographic Style!)


I found myself with an hour this afternoon and decided to make a card (I probably won't get another chance to post again before CASology on Tuesday morning).

I went searching through blogland and found Retro Sketches - I haven't played there in ages! I don't always love sketch challenges, but since this week's sketch is perfect for a CAS card and my good friend Tracey is on the DT, I decided to play along.




I made my card one layer, by sponging the frame onto the white card base. I chose yellow, thinking maybe I could make another Muse card, using the frame element, the theme and the yellow from Marion's whimsical spring card. I figured since it was one-layered, I would only use a sentiment, and also link it up to the current OLS Challenge (Words, Words, Words).  I figured I would use blue for my sentiment, to add in another link to Marion's card.




But once I saw the yellow frame on the card base, I got a National Geographic feel and popped over to their website to see how close my design was to their logo. I ended up going very graphic and masculine (but wouldn't it be perfect for someone who is interested in (or even still gets hard copies of) National Georgraphic!).

So there you go. One hour, two colours, two stamps (Uniko Happy, Craft's Meow Birthday), three challenges and more than you ever wanted to know about my thought process!

Now I'm off to bake cookies and start prepping for dinner!

See you Tuesday!

21 comments:

  1. How brilliant! Love your National Geographic inspriation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and thank you for sharing at RetroSketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing creative thought processes. It makes me feel a little more normal. ;) Great graphic card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you were inspired Ardyth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about your thought process and how you get from point A - Z! Nice touch offsetting the sentiment. So glad that you mentioned National Geographic because it would have driven me ca-rzy trying to figure out what it reminded me of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great NG-inspired card, Ardy! Very CAS, emphasis on the clean! Your cards never seem simple to me either in terms of engineering or execution ~ you just make it LOOK easy! And gorgeous!

    Um, ahem, yes, grandpa and I do still enjoy receiving a hard copy of NG. It is also great for the kids/grandkids who love to leaf through the pages and be spellbound by the incredible photos, especially of the ocean. We're modern-day dinosaurs!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the simplicity of your card and how you take inspiration from everyday items and turn them into gorgeous cards!x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! so simple and fun!
    And my husband just started a subscription to National Geographic hard copies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great thing to have an hour that can be spent just as you like...and a beautiful result of that time! Still love seeing your beautiful graphic designs! Enjoy the sunday, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely perfect Ardyth! Love hearing how you are inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So perfect, Ardyth! Thank you for sharing how you were inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I first saw your card I was wondering what it was that it reminded me of. Then I read your post and all but yelled, "that's it!". I love how you can take inspiration and come up with the cards that you do, keeping them CAS and just perfect. I love this card, so simple but so amazing. It kills me because I would have never been able to pull something like this off. lol Great card. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great CAS and Graphic is spot on. It immediately reminded me of all of the 18 years of issues that we left in Montreal when we moved here. You sure do CAS with graphic inspiration like no other!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just incredible how your mind works, Ardyth. I... wait. Cookies?
    =] M

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to laugh when I saw you had mentioned National Geographic.....its totally perfect!! I can picture the mag cover in my mind and your card is so similar. You clever thing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so awesome - totally Nat Geo!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your creative process. Your clean and graphic cards really pops.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant take on the NG, very clever stamping.

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is it too much to say I still love NG? Love your graphic, gorgeous card too, Ardyth ... and hearing about your creative process ... well, priceless really! Bisous, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have cased your card…Do stop by and check it out!
    http://www.parusperceptions.com/2015/03/green.html

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.