Monday 22 September 2014

i {heart} papers GD post #9/OLS#9 - Hip to be Square

Looking for Bev's birthday party? Link up here.


It's last call for this month's One-Layer Simplicity Challenge, where I'm hosting "Hip to be Square". The deadline is midnight on Wednesday, September 24.

Making this card, I was reminded of two things about stamping:

1) All you need is ink and paper to make a really fun and festive card;

2) Add grey to any colour combination and it will look very 'in'.

Ironically, I created my square out of circles. I wanted to create a fun bouncy frame (similar to Bev's birthday card here) and looked around for a colour combination. I stamped the sentiment across the card and then used a 2 1/2" mask in the centre, to create my frame. I stamped in yellow, green and aqua starting with the largest dots first, then filling in with the next size. I took my mask off and added a few more dots on the inside of the frame, so I would get a kind of random feel. Then I took a look at it and decided to add some grey - not only did it fill the frame in nicely, but I do think it changed the feeling of the card slightly - here's what it looked like before the grey:


What do you think?

Supplies used (all from i {heart} papers)


18 comments:

  1. I think you are right Ardyth the grey really added depth to your card, and made the rest of the colours pop and I am loving the cheery and fun look to your card!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grey ties it together perfectly with the sentiment Ardyth. Perfect to link up with Join in to Win @ Winnie and Walter too! http://www.blog.winniewalter.com/p/join-in-and-win.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super design! Looks so simple, but before the balance is right... Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. That grey really does change it up doesn't it? Both versions are cool though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you created the frame...and your tips are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool frame and great card - love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowzers! It's amazing how the grey "anchors" the design! The darker color seems to give the PERFECTLY stamped border a bit of strength! GREAT CALL!

    Another fabulous card Ardyth :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love gray. And on your card here, it's just the right "fill 'er up" color. What a festive card; might have to CASE this for my granddaughter's birthday...hmmmmm... Love this one! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Ardyth ... what a difference a grey makes!! The original is fun and airy and lighthearted looking ... with the added grey it has all that plus a lovely touch of sophisication ... gorgeous! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! Love the creative way of making a square frame with tiny circles of various sizes. It adds a fun element to the card. And you are so right about adding the greys. Stunning work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely perfectly done, and you are right that the grey makes a difference. I am going to remember that since I have about 4 shades of grey ink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! What a fabulous card, from the colors and your as always amazing design.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fresh, modern card. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would've never thought to add gray! Amazing Ardyth! Fabulous design and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun, festive and happy card Ardyth! I love the bright colors and you are so right, the grey adds something, something to the colors-just changes the whole look and one that I am in love with! I am so loving those circle stamps and what you do with them. Wow! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Most definitely a hip card and I agree: the grey adds to the impact. Wonderfully creative!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful card!! I would love to receive a card like this for my birthday! Whoever the recipient ends up being, I know they'll love this card!

    Hugs,
    -Dee

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love the way you used the confetti singles to make a border! So glad you posted your card!!! Thanks for using our stamps :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.