Wednesday 8 January 2014

The Card Concept - Challenge 1 - Thanks!


Welcome to the first Card Concept Challenge! We're so excited to finally get started on this new bi-weekly challenge! The idea is to use the inspiration given in one of the 6 different styles. You can design in your favourite style or you can try something new to push yourself out of your comfort zone a little! See below for a reminder of the Challenge rules.

This challenge is a colour challenge. And you'll recall that I am one of the Clean and Graphic (CAG) Designers. There is a description of all the styles on the Card Concept blog and I've started a page here on MASKerade (see top right) where I've placed the description of CAG and have pinned a number of cards of mine that I consider to be good examples of CAG style.

Just in case you think that those of us on Design Teams have an easier time with all the challenges we're given, let me assure you it's not true. This one was a real challenge for me. You know I love black and white and bold bright colours, so when I saw this soft colour palette (especially the pink!), my first thought was that it just wasn't going to lend itself to a clean and graphic card. But I used the darkest and lightest colours as I would normally use black and white, with touches of the other colours. High contrast lends itself well to CAG cards!

And in the end, I love this card - it reminds me of Neapolitan ice cream. I coloured the two ends of the die cut with copic markers and coated it in stickles. Using a solid brown circle makes the sentiment pop.

I made another card, using the negative of the die cut and some scraps. In my opinion, it's a little cleaner, but a little less graphic. But I think that both these cards show the Clean and Graphic style quite well.




The Card Concept Rules
  1. Use the Challenge to create a card.
  2. Choose one of the design team "styles" to create your card. Click HERE for the different styles summary.
  3. Explain in your post which style you used.
  4. Link up your blog post here, not your whole blog.
  5. Comment on the card ahead of you and behind you in the linky. Everyone loves comments!
This challenge will end on Monday, January 20th at 3:00 pm EST.

23 comments:

  1. You nailed this first challenge with your Clean and Graphic style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see why your style is called CAG. Your first card rocks, but I also like how you have used the negative die cut in your second card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my...both are SO awesome, Ardyth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I mentioned in my post today - I can always tell your cards. You are the CAG Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome new challenge! I love that it encompasses all styles and will really bring everyone together. :) Both of your cards are awesome and you're right - Neapolitan ice cream totally comes to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these cards are awesome, Ardyth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad this challenge has begun...although like you, this sort of palettes frightens the life out of me!! You have absolutely nailed it though, unsurprisingly! And I think the second card is just as graphic as the first and they're both gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sigh ... so delicious, Ardyth ... you've nailed that soft colour palette ... it looks completely stunning against the espresso circle ... especially with the touch of sparkle and shine! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow pal...both of your cards are awesome! Of course, I love the stickled sentiment! You made the soft colors look like they were meant for the clean & graphic scene! Love your second card too - softer design with just as much of an impact as card #1.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this new challenge and you indeed nailed the clean n graphic style... who else could have done this!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course you are the designer for Clean and Graphic. No one does it like you. Fabulous cards today, and I am very excited about this new challenge. I think I will learn a lot, starting with figuring out what kind of cards I am making.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great cards such an awesome start to this new blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two brilliant beauties! You've used these Neapolitan (my first thought too...)colors perfectly. I can still see the "you" in spite of the softer palette. This challenge is off to a great start. Woohoo! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chocolate brown is a hard color for me to work with. It's beautiful the way you handled it with the sparkly bright diecut. Thanks for explaining how you did the thanks. I'll be reading through your instructions, as I always need advice on the CAG (or just clean & simple for that matter!). Simplicity is usually best in most things, not just cards. Happy New Year, and TFS. Also thanks for taking time to provide the help with the CAG. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great cards! The first looks like a splendid card for a men!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ardyth,

    ahh - how i admire and appreciate those of you who can do so simple. My sister is really good at that too.

    Your card is right to the point and nice too!

    Blessings,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ardyth, I love both cards you made with these colors in your classic Ardyth style! LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ardyth. What a fabulous representation of the Clean and Graphic style. Colouring the two ends of the 'thanks' is very innovative. The second card is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this is just gorgeous! Teach me how to do CAS - I'm in awe of how you make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am just tickled to be on the team with you, Ardyth! You have been such an inspiration to me (not that I am a clean and graphic designer by any stretch)- your take on challenges has helped me to try to see things outside the box. Love how you colored the two ends of the die in the above card-what a great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another wonderful card for this great new challenge! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love both of your cards, I went for CAG this time around. I had a nose around your blog, CAG is definitely your style..I love it. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great designs! Love your style!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.