Thursday 1 March 2012

Colour blocking

Not sure if these three all qualify as colour blocking, but since making my daughter's birthday card, I've been a bit 'stuck' shall we say, in this colour combination. I love the graphic feel of these and on a grey, blustery day (here in Toronto, anyway), I hope they'll make you smile, too!


I started with this one, based on a layout of photos on a wall that I had seen on Pinterest. The problem with this kind of layout is that anything less than perfect (measurement, alignment, etc) shows up immediately.  I started with a square in the middle, but you could easily see that not everything was lining up perfectly. So I took out the square from the centre and finished this card by stamping thank you on the 4 coloured panels and putting the white circle with black flower in the centre.





I took the original square centre and  made it into another card:



Finally, last week I went to the ONE stamping store that Toronto has (don't even get me started - when I go  visit my parents in London, Ontario, a city of about 1/10 of the size of Toronto, there are 3 or 4 stores that I like to drop by and peruse!). I picked up this little music stamp with the idea of making it into a flower. I even got my protractor out to ensure that the angles of the petals were correctly stamped (I've been relearning geometry with my almost-teenaged son lately).

This card was an evolution. First, I stamped it in yellow, to be a nice spring flower, but it felt washed out, My next attempt was simple black on white - sometimes you don't need anything more, but this was not one of those times. It also felt washed out, so I coloured in the spaces on the staves and presto, this card made it into this colourful collection! I think it will be perfect for my daughter's music teacher or piano/voice teacher.



Thanks for stopping by today - I'm off to brave the weather and meet a friend for lunch downtown.

Supplies:
"Colour block"
Stamps: Impress Rubber Stamps
Paper: Basic Black, Melon Mambo, Tempting Turquoise, Summer Sunrise, Lucky Limeade
Ink: Melon Mambo, Tempting Turquoise, Summer Sunrise, Lucky Limeade
Accessories: Circle nestabilities, Cuttlebug flower die


"White thank you"
Stamps: ? Thanks!, Verve flower
Paper: Whisper White, Basic Black, Gina K Pure Luxury
Ink: Melon Mambo, Tempting Turquoise, Summer Sunrise, Lucky Limeade, Versafine Onyx
Accessories: Black Stickles


"Musical Flower"
Stamps: Inkadinkado
Paper: Whisper White, Basic Black
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Copic Markers, 1/4 inch circle punch

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.